OS.js is completely free and open-source which means you can contribute to the development or use the code as you like. View License
You can also join the [small, but awesome] online community to discuss features and future changes. If there's something you'd like to see in OS.js, hop in and let us know about it! It's also a place where you can seek help, or just hang out and talk about completely unrelated stuff.
Built to feel like a traditional desktop, only with modern web technologies. Features a fully capable Window Manager and Desktop Environment that takes inspiration from Linux.
Supports localization, theme customization, drag-and-drop, authentication and multi-user, group-based permissions, and much more.
Comes with a default suite of applications for managing, viewing and editing of your files and out-of-the box support for WebDAV, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox.
You can even stream your Linux applications with Broadway or connect to your remote desktop via VNC.
Works on any modern browser and can be deployed on all platforms.
Customizable and Extendable
OS.js is built to be modular and customizable. You can easily change behaviour and the look of things by simply changing some configuration files.
Also comes with a set of tools so you can create your own distributions and develop your own extensions and applications.
Easily add new applications by simply downloading a repository online and copy it into your installation (some samples include a XMPP chat client, PDF Viewer, ZIP Archiver and Games).
Thanks to the community the following translations are included: German, French, Itailan, Russian, Dutch, Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, Bulgarian, Turkish, Slovakian, Korean and Norwegian.
Follow the instructions from the official documentation.
Contact and Community
Or contact the author/maintainer
Full list of features
- Free and Open-source
- Very simple installation
- Works in any modern browser
- Server is deployable on any platform
- Can be built to run entirely in-browser without any server
- Easy to use APIs
- Customizable and easy to extend with custom code and modules etc.
- Supports multi-user environments and authentication
- Virtual File System - Store your files across many different storage/cloud providers
- Desktop and Window Manager built to feel familiar to most users
- Drag-and-drop between applications
- Supports sessions so you can reload workspaces on any computer
- Localization and translations
- Comes with a small application suite
- Supports adding of packages via external repositories
- Comes with all the tools nesessry to build your own applications
- Follows industry standard style guides
- Google Drive support
- Dropbox support
- OneDrive support
- Run native GTK+ 3.x Applications via Broadway (very experimental)
- Can be deployed using X11 to work as a full-fledged desktop solution